03/10/2016

Prelim Filming, Editing

In the prelim task we used a DSLR to create the shots in the film sequence. Considering the following factors: white balance, ISO, appiture, composition I could setup the shot ready to be filmed.

Camera, Lighting, Composition, Sound
In the sequence I mainly used over the shoulder shots (OTS). To setup the composition I made sure that a you could clearly see the face of the person talking and kept to back of the other person in the shot.
We filmed a second take of the a similar conversation but reversed the shot to show the face of the other character and the back of the person.

One issue with sound I encountered is that, because of the positioning of the camera and the direction the microphone in one of the shots, when I was editing one shot is has more background noise than the other one. Therefore you can clearly hear an increase in background noise when the two shots switch between each other.

When filming the composition did not look correct, therefore I added extra tables to the background to fill the empty space in the room as it looked odd otherwise.

Considering lighting I made sure that we were not shooting into a light source (a window) therefore reducing over exposure and the face of the characters being completely dark.
Taking white balance into account, depending on the majority of which type of light available, I altered it. If the source of light was sunlight I made sure that the white balance was set to a subtitle setting reducing the blue colour and keeping the shot as close to natural as possible. If the majority of light was artificial is set the white balance to a more blue setting keeping the shot also as close to realistic as possible.
Because the filming location was light I could set the ISO to a lower value therefore reduing how much light the sensor in the camera would pick up and then a result of a better quality image with minimal grain and distortion.

When I set up the DSLR I set the appiture to a large f-stop value therefore impacting the depth of field, as most of the image (foreground and backgrond) is in focus.

Editing
In Final Cut Pro I dropped in the footage that we recorded into the project. Editing the clips together, I watched back both of the cuts and made a conversation out of both of the shots. I reused the same shots over and over again switching between the two depending on which character was talking to show the facial expressions of the character. Because the conversations were different from the two separate scenes I made up my own conversation using the shots I had and cut the two shots to make a scene that could make sense. Therefore the final opening contained shots that were not in order when filming.



No comments:

Post a Comment